Maths problems can be related to neuro-motor immaturity in the following ways:
- Difficulties with visual tracking (horizontal) necessary for reading instructions or (vertical) for aligning columns correctly
- Vestibular problems which can influence spatial skills necessary to understand spatial relationships, geometric forms, patterns etc.
- Visual-motor integration difficulties
- Visual perceptual problems
- Sequencing necessary for remembering sequences of information (eg multiplication tables), and following instructions and carrying out procedures
- Inter-hemispheric communication necessary to solve problems
Our Dyscalculia page has more information on maths problems and dyscalculia which you may find interesting.
If your child is showing this symptom, or other symptoms of NDD, please complete a free NDD child screening test.